So, with this blog I set out to improve my cake decorating skills and indeed plan to make cupcakes, cookies and cakes galore that let me do that… But I thought I would also sit down and list some cakes and things I’ve never tried before to give me a bit of focus and variation to my baking. I can’t cover and decorate a full cake every week after all!
So here goes (in no particular order).
1. Macaroons: I’ve never made them and think all the colours look very pretty. I’ve read they are tricky and take practice… So I thought I best get on practicing.
2. Tart au citron : love them. ’nuff said.
3. Rhubarb meringue pie.. As I want to do a lemon tart above and as every year we have a beast of a rhubarb plant I thought a twist on the good old English pud might be nice.
4. Rhubarb recipes (any). As I have mentioned I have the beast and I want to compile a stack of rhubarb recipes to use my lovely harvest (I hope it does well now I’ve said that – but this is Yorkshire and the rhubarb triangle – just abouts).
5. Iced fingers – I don’t generally do yeast-based baking, I haven’t had much luck. But then with my husbands helping hand we made Paul Hollywoods iced fingers which were AMAZING and so I want to recreate these on my own and with my Kenwood (I can’t be getting my hands stuck in with a 5month old kicking about).
6. Battenburg – I’ve made a battenburg before when fundraising for breast cancer care (over on my other blog). I was proud as punch with it, yet it was far from perfect and I want to see if I can do better.
7. Whoopie pie – never had one and not sure what all the hype is about, so best have a try and find out.
8. Cake pops – ditto
9. Baked cheesecake – ooh yummy
10. Fruity frostings – I want to jazz up my basic cupcakes with frostings using natural food colouring of fruit or say champagne!!
11. pecan pie
13. Apple Kuchen/Cinnamon rolls for breakfast one time
14. A layer cake
15. A marble cake
16. Millionaires’s shortbread
17. This one is quite specific but I have been wanting to do it for AGES… Dan Lepard’s Pecan Crust bourbon Chocolate Tart.